Skip to main content

Trader Joe's Platinum Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon Yountville Napa Valley 2016

The second Platinum Reserve wine featured in Trader Joe's Fearless Flyer is the Cabernet Sauvignon Yountville Napa Valley 2016.  Since this wine is from the same producer and from the same sub-AVA as the previously reviewed Platinum Reserve Meritage, you might expect them to be similar in quality.  However, there is a very important difference.  The grapes for the Meritage were harvested in 2013 and the grapes for this wine are from 2016.  That means that the wine was aged in oak for just a few months.  The Flyer says that the aging was in a 50/50 mix of one-year old French and American oak barrels but it is very unusual for a Cabernet Sauvignon from a prestigious region to be aged for this short length of time.

I like flavors of vanilla and smoke in Cabernet Sauvignon.  Those flavors come from the oak barrels and in this wine are so dominant that I did not adequately taste the fruit flavors.  The wine is just a little out of balance.  It is certainly a value to buy Cabernet Sauvignon from Oakville , Napa Valley for $15 but this wine is not exceptional.  I would choose the Platinum Reserve Meritage every time over the Cabernet Sauvignon.

SC Wine Joe rating = 89 points





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dragon Vine, a novel by Steven Laine

It has been a year since I have posted to the South Carolina Wine Blog.  However, I was provided with an advance copy of the latest novel by Steven Laine entitled Dragon Vine   for my review.  Mr. Laine writes novels with a wine focused theme and I reviewed Mr. Laine's previous novel Root Cause  in 2019, which I greatly enjoyed. The synopsis of Dragon Vine is as follows: When his father dies in a wildfire, Carmine Cooper takes over the family winery in the middle of harvest, putting his dreams of becoming an architect on hold. He soon finds himself fighting with a vengeful neighbor, blackmailed by a local gang, harassed by the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) authorities, and the target of an ATF (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives) investigation. Carmine’s only hope to solve his problems and finish his first solo vintage successfully rests in identifying an unknown grape variety his father grew and made into wine for a quarter century wit...

Ken Wright Cellars Pinot Noir Willamette Valley 2018

 I was aware of the reputation of Ken Wright Cellars for Willamette Valley Pinot Noir but had never tried one of their wines.  The winery is most known for single vineyard Pinot Noirs but their entry level wine is a blend from several vineyards.  When I have looked for wine from Ken Wright, I have either found the single vineyard wines costing more than $60 or I have found the entry level Willamette Valley blend priced significantly higher than the $22 price on the winery website.  One well known wine shop in downtown Greenville actually sells it for $34.  I guess that the wine must be really good to command higher than retail prices. Two things have recently happened.  Costco has a Ken Wright premium Pinot Noir for around $40 and Whole Foods Market has the entry level Willamette Valley Pinot Noir on sale for $22 rather than their usual price of $27.  I chose the entry level Willamette Valley Pinot Noir and I am sure glad that I did. Ken Wright Willame...

Cardwell Hill Cellars Estate Pinot Noir Willamette Valley 2016

 After a recent shopping trip to Total Wine, they enticed me to come back with a 20% off coupon for their winery direct wines.  I wanted to try a new Willamette Valley Pinot Noir, but I think I have previously tried every winery direct Oregon Pinot Noir under $20 in the store and never found one that I would buy again.  So, I decided to search out the winery direct pinots up to $30 since my coupon would get me under $24.  After some online review, I selected Cardwell Hill Cellars Estate Bottled Pinot Noir Willamette Valley 2016 ($27.99 reduced to $22.40) and I really made an excellent choice. Caldwell Hill Cellars is owned by a retired Fleur Corp engineer and his wife who love both Oregon and wine.  All of their wines are made with estate grown grapes and they use biodynamic farming practices. Dark cherry aromas greet you from the glass.  A complex taste of cherry, dark cherry, raspberry and spice arrive first, followed by some oak and tannins.  The fi...