Skip to main content

Casa Los Frailes Sinergia Cabernet Sauvignon 2014

I have been enjoying Sinergia from Costco for several weeks.  I initially selected it because it was rated 92 points by Wine Enthusiast, it is made with organic grapes and Costco was selling this wine  for $9.99.  Although we are eating lighter fare and drinking white wines and Pinot Noir during the summer, we have gone through 3 or 4 bottles of this Cabernet.

The grapes for Sinergia are from Valencia on the east coast of Spain.  Valencia is better known for oranges than for wine, but there is a thriving wine industry.  Monastrell is the most widely grown grape but many other varieties are also grown.  Casa Los Frailes has a history dating back 300 years and specializes in Monastrell and other Spanish grapes.  The winery's website does not indicated any recent vintages of Cabernet Sauvignon.

Sinergia is a fruit forward, easy drinking Cabernet Sauvignon.  There are flavors of blackberry and hints of chocolate with mild tannins.  Several websites say that the wine has over 15% alcohol but my bottle claims 14%.  In any case, the wine is well balanced and the alcohol is not overpowering.   This wine is very flavorful and surpasses almost anything else you can buy for less than $10.

SC Wine Joe rating = 90 points


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dragon Vine, a novel by Steven Laine

It has been a year since I have posted to the South Carolina Wine Blog.  However, I was provided with an advance copy of the latest novel by Steven Laine entitled Dragon Vine   for my review.  Mr. Laine writes novels with a wine focused theme and I reviewed Mr. Laine's previous novel Root Cause  in 2019, which I greatly enjoyed. The synopsis of Dragon Vine is as follows: When his father dies in a wildfire, Carmine Cooper takes over the family winery in the middle of harvest, putting his dreams of becoming an architect on hold. He soon finds himself fighting with a vengeful neighbor, blackmailed by a local gang, harassed by the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) authorities, and the target of an ATF (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives) investigation. Carmine’s only hope to solve his problems and finish his first solo vintage successfully rests in identifying an unknown grape variety his father grew and made into wine for a quarter century wit...

Ken Wright Cellars Pinot Noir Willamette Valley 2018

 I was aware of the reputation of Ken Wright Cellars for Willamette Valley Pinot Noir but had never tried one of their wines.  The winery is most known for single vineyard Pinot Noirs but their entry level wine is a blend from several vineyards.  When I have looked for wine from Ken Wright, I have either found the single vineyard wines costing more than $60 or I have found the entry level Willamette Valley blend priced significantly higher than the $22 price on the winery website.  One well known wine shop in downtown Greenville actually sells it for $34.  I guess that the wine must be really good to command higher than retail prices. Two things have recently happened.  Costco has a Ken Wright premium Pinot Noir for around $40 and Whole Foods Market has the entry level Willamette Valley Pinot Noir on sale for $22 rather than their usual price of $27.  I chose the entry level Willamette Valley Pinot Noir and I am sure glad that I did. Ken Wright Willame...

Cardwell Hill Cellars Estate Pinot Noir Willamette Valley 2016

 After a recent shopping trip to Total Wine, they enticed me to come back with a 20% off coupon for their winery direct wines.  I wanted to try a new Willamette Valley Pinot Noir, but I think I have previously tried every winery direct Oregon Pinot Noir under $20 in the store and never found one that I would buy again.  So, I decided to search out the winery direct pinots up to $30 since my coupon would get me under $24.  After some online review, I selected Cardwell Hill Cellars Estate Bottled Pinot Noir Willamette Valley 2016 ($27.99 reduced to $22.40) and I really made an excellent choice. Caldwell Hill Cellars is owned by a retired Fleur Corp engineer and his wife who love both Oregon and wine.  All of their wines are made with estate grown grapes and they use biodynamic farming practices. Dark cherry aromas greet you from the glass.  A complex taste of cherry, dark cherry, raspberry and spice arrive first, followed by some oak and tannins.  The fi...