Skip to main content

Argiolas Costera Cannonau de Sardegna 2012

Blue zones are demographic and/or geographic areas of the world where people live measurably longer lives.  The island of Sardinia, in the Mediterranean Sea, off the west coast of Italy, is a blue zone noted for having the highest proportion of men living past the age of 100.  There are many factors that lead to this longevity including lifestyle, diet and genetics.  One factor that has been cited is the drinking of red wine.  The inhabitants of Sardinia drink wine made from the Cannonau grape which is said to have the highest levels of polyphenols of any wine.  Polyphenols are full of antioxidants which are good for your arteries.  In 2013, this wine and its health benefit was brought to the attention of the American public by the Dr. Oz show.  I suspect that the Mediterranean diet, exercise and a low stress lifestyle far outweigh the wine, but I want to believe that wine drinking is good for my health, so this is good news!

The Cannonau grape from Sardinia is the same grape that is called Grenacha in Spain or Granache in France.  Cannonau wine was brought to my attention by a friend of ours from Nashville so I searched Total Wines and More, armed with a 15% off coupon, and found the Argiolas Costera Cannonau de Sardegna.  The regular price was $15.99, but with my coupon I bought it for $13.59.  The Argiolas Costera is primarily Cannonau with 2 other grapes blended in.   It is aged in oak casks for 8 to 10 months with some additional bottle aging.  The alcohol content is 14%.

The wine is a dark ruby red to violet color.  The dark cherry, blackberry taste is intense and it reminded me of a recent bottle of Petit Sirah that we enjoyed.  There was a slight bitterness on the long finish but it did not detract from our enjoyment.  All in all, this was a pleasant surprise.  And, who knows, maybe it is good for your health.  I would buy it again.

SC Wine Joe rating = 89 points



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dragon Vine, a novel by Steven Laine

It has been a year since I have posted to the South Carolina Wine Blog.  However, I was provided with an advance copy of the latest novel by Steven Laine entitled Dragon Vine   for my review.  Mr. Laine writes novels with a wine focused theme and I reviewed Mr. Laine's previous novel Root Cause  in 2019, which I greatly enjoyed. The synopsis of Dragon Vine is as follows: When his father dies in a wildfire, Carmine Cooper takes over the family winery in the middle of harvest, putting his dreams of becoming an architect on hold. He soon finds himself fighting with a vengeful neighbor, blackmailed by a local gang, harassed by the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) authorities, and the target of an ATF (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives) investigation. Carmine’s only hope to solve his problems and finish his first solo vintage successfully rests in identifying an unknown grape variety his father grew and made into wine for a quarter century wit...

Ken Wright Cellars Pinot Noir Willamette Valley 2018

 I was aware of the reputation of Ken Wright Cellars for Willamette Valley Pinot Noir but had never tried one of their wines.  The winery is most known for single vineyard Pinot Noirs but their entry level wine is a blend from several vineyards.  When I have looked for wine from Ken Wright, I have either found the single vineyard wines costing more than $60 or I have found the entry level Willamette Valley blend priced significantly higher than the $22 price on the winery website.  One well known wine shop in downtown Greenville actually sells it for $34.  I guess that the wine must be really good to command higher than retail prices. Two things have recently happened.  Costco has a Ken Wright premium Pinot Noir for around $40 and Whole Foods Market has the entry level Willamette Valley Pinot Noir on sale for $22 rather than their usual price of $27.  I chose the entry level Willamette Valley Pinot Noir and I am sure glad that I did. Ken Wright Willame...

Cardwell Hill Cellars Estate Pinot Noir Willamette Valley 2016

 After a recent shopping trip to Total Wine, they enticed me to come back with a 20% off coupon for their winery direct wines.  I wanted to try a new Willamette Valley Pinot Noir, but I think I have previously tried every winery direct Oregon Pinot Noir under $20 in the store and never found one that I would buy again.  So, I decided to search out the winery direct pinots up to $30 since my coupon would get me under $24.  After some online review, I selected Cardwell Hill Cellars Estate Bottled Pinot Noir Willamette Valley 2016 ($27.99 reduced to $22.40) and I really made an excellent choice. Caldwell Hill Cellars is owned by a retired Fleur Corp engineer and his wife who love both Oregon and wine.  All of their wines are made with estate grown grapes and they use biodynamic farming practices. Dark cherry aromas greet you from the glass.  A complex taste of cherry, dark cherry, raspberry and spice arrive first, followed by some oak and tannins.  The fi...